We're checking out the last 20 mile of the Lost Boys 50 course. This will be a good opportunity for those running the race and also their pacers to see what they're in for!
All are welcome to join even those that are not planning to run the Lost Boys 50. Remember that each person is responsible for themselves, we will not be keeping track of who is where and we encourage runners to run in pairs.
- When: Saturday April 4, 2015. Launch at 7:00AM
- No need to RSVP
- Total Miles: Approximately 20 miles (with a couple shorter options).
- Water: Water will be dropped at West Mesa (approximately 6 miles into the run). So carry enough for the final 14 mile stretch.
- Training Run Details: We will start and finish off the official course but 95% of this run will be on the official Lost Boys course. Leaving Big Bend we will head East until we meet Stonewall Creek Fire Road (mile 33.3 in the race). We will turn right here and follow the race course and loop all the way around to Marty Marshall trail (MMT). At MMT we'll continue straight to finish back at Big Bend. See the Maps page for turn-by-turn directions of the course and especially the TRAINING RUN MAP.
- You can cut the miles short in a couple places as follows:
- When we arrive at West Mesa you can cross the highway then instead of continuing west on the LB50 course you can turn right (leaving the LB50 course) onto the West Side Trail. Stay right and follow the signs to the Paso Picacho Campground, then run north along the highway for a couple miles back to Big Bend. This option is a bit confusing so you should only consider it if you know the area.
- A second option would be at the Milk Ranch Road aid station you can just stay on the dirt road heading east instead of heading up Middle Peak. This will cut out a climb and about 3 miles.
- Where: Meet at "Big Bend." (AKA Milk Ranch Road). This is the big turn in Highway 79:
0.8 miles SOUTH of the Cuyamaca Lake Store
1.7 miles NORTH of Paso Picacho Campground
Let me know if you have any questions. See you on the trails.
Brian Gonzales, Lost Boys 50 Mile - RD